Friday, October 22, 2010

Alumna Joanna Brucker Sends Greetings from Kosovo

Alumna Joanna Brucker (BA Anth with Special Honors, 2007) writes:

"Many warm greetings from Kosovo. I have been here now for six months and some of the most transformational of my life. I currently work for a local non-profit as their educational coordinator. The non-profit, Balkan Sunflowers (www.balkansunflowers.org or www.learningcentersnetwork.org) provides educational extension and support for the minority populations here in Kosovo, namely the Roma and Ashkali. I work as advisor to four educational centers, providing daily training to the local tutoring staff of high school students, writing curriculum to be used in the centers and doing all sorts of outreach and cooperative training with local INGOs. The work is absolutely fascinating - and I am learning Albanian!"

The Anthropology Department is delighted to learn of Joanna's work and wish her all the best in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,Joanna,
I am a Senior at Emma Willard School and I am applying to George Washington. I just stumbled across this blog while looking up the anthropology department--I am interested in anthropology and I have been fascinated with studying the Roma every since I spent a summer in Spain and observed how poorly treated they were. I was wondering if there was anyway I could volunteer for this amazing organization you are working for this summer. I am so excited and I can't believe I just stumbled upon this! My name is Iris Bercovitz and my email is ibercovitz@emmawillard.org

Anonymous said...

P.S. aol just randomly assigned me the name "hey what up?" if you were wondering why i choose to say that!